The Northrop Grumman (Grumman) manufacturing facility, comprised of approximately 635 acres, was acquired by the Grumman Corporation in the early 1930’s. The United States Navy (Navy) owned 105 of the total property. The Navy leased its property and buildings to Grumman for research and manufacturing purposes. Grumman used its property for various military manufacturing purposes. The company developed and manufactured Navy fighter planes and amphibious landing craft from the 1930’s up to the end of World War II.