About the Northrop Grumman/Navy Site

The Northrop Grumman (Grumman) manufacturing facility, comprised of approximately 635 acres, was acquired by the Grumman Corporation in the early 1930’s. The United States Navy (Navy) owned 105 of the total property. The Navy leased its property and buildings to Grumman for research and manufacturing purposes. Grumman used its property for various military manufacturing purposes. The company developed and manufactured Navy fighter planes and amphibious landing craft from the 1930’s up to the end of World War II.

Latest News

Navy will give update on cleanup projects

4/15/2016

 The Navy is hosting a public meeting Wednesday to discuss ongoing cleanup projects in the Bethpage area to treat soil and groundwater contamination dating back to aerospace manufacturing operations  between the 1930s and 1996. The restoration advisory board meeting about the Naval Industrial Reserve Plant in Bethpage will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the Bethpage Senior Citizens Center at 103 Grumman Rd. W. The meeting is open to the public. The first 30 minutes will be an open forum with representatives from the Navy’s Environmental Restoration Program, state officials and community members serving on the advisory board. Updates on groundwater investigations and other probes will be discussed. The Navy and what is now Northrop Grumman manufactured and tested airplane and space exploration vehicles, including the Apollo lunar module, on the more than 600-acre site. Groundwater contamination was discovered in the late 1940s and volatile organic chemicals found in the mid-1970s. The site was added to the state’s Superfund program in 1983 and is the subject of several cleanup plans. Both the Navy and Northrop Grumman are listed as responsible parties charged with containing and cleaning up contamination. Recently, the state pressured Northrop Grumman to speed up construction of a treatment well in Bethpage after a hot spot of contamination was found to have migrated off the Superfund site. Documents about the cleanup efforts are on file at the Bethpage Public Library at 47 Powell Ave. 

Back